The PREP Central Office is available to answer questions via email at PREP@UTSA.edu
or by phone Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm at 210-458-2829.
The Prefreshman Engineering Program (PREP) is an academically rigorous mathematics-based summer enrichment program conducted at several college and university campuses in San Antonio, as well as, across the State of Texas and Nation.
PREP identifies middle and high school students interested in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and helps prepare those students for advanced studies and careers in those fields by providing a challenging academic program that emphasizes abstract reasoning and problem solving, and exposes participants to careers through speakers and field trips.
PREP is offering a hybrid instructional model for summer 2021. More information will be available soon. Curriculum will focus on Logic and its application to Mathematics, Introduction to Engineering, and topics in problem solving. Materials and activities as well as opportunities to engage with instructors will be available online.
Apply: November 1, 2020 – January 31, 2021
Dates: June 21, 2021 – July 30, 2021
Times:Program time may vary depending on site location. Generally program is between 7:30AM – 4PM.
Cost: $500 per student (Some school districts may cover partial or full cost. Please inquire with your school counselor for more information.)
- Acceptance notifications will be emailed – mid-March
- Parent Orientation will take place in May at the site which the student is accepted
- Absences: Student is only allowed three excused absences
- Transportation: All applicants are responsible for their own transportation
PREP 2021 Year 1 Application
PREP 2021 Year 2 Application
PREP 2021 Year 3 Application
PREP 2021 Year 4 Application
Contact: PREP@utsa.edu with any questions.
Introduction to the Instructor
Class 1 Basics
Class 2 Sampling
Submit your information to be notified about PREP 2022 or later dates.
Submit Information Now
Year 1 PREP
Year 2 PREP
Year 3 PREP
Year 4 PREP
The program started in 1979 by a UTSA mathematics professor, Dr. Manuel P. Berriozábal. Today, in 2019, PREP exists at 33 sites in 25 cities and 7 states. PREP has served over 50,000 students in the State of Texas during the past 40 years.
Students from all school districts within the Greater San Antonio Area that meet the requirements outlined below are encouraged to apply.
Year 1 Requirements
- Students must apply as 6th, 7th, or 8th graders
- Parent/guardian permission
- Nomination Form from a Mathematics Teacher
- Nomination Form from a Science Teacher, English Teacher, or School Counselor
- Satisfactory conduct grades.
- 100-200 word essay that answers the prompt “Why I want to Participate in PREP”
- 80 or better grade in most recent grading cycle (6 or 9 week term) mathematics, science and English class
Year 2, 3 and 4 Requirements
- Successful completion of Year 1, 2, or 3 for the next PREP Year (students may not skip a PREP year)
- Parent/Guardian permission
- Passing all classes in school
- 80 or above in most recent grading cycle (6 to 9 week term) in math, science, and English
Satisfactory conduct grades
PREP Participant Forms & Resources
Academic Record Request Form
Student and Parent Handbook
PREP is holding virtual Parent Info Sessions weekdays 6:30-7:30. For more information please contact your school counselor or science/math teacher.
Resources for Counselors and Teachers
2020 Recruitment Presentation
PREP Application Process and Dates
Two (2) nomination forms are required, one from a math teacher and a second from either an English teacher, science teacher, or counselor. Years 2, 3, and 4 do not require nominations.
Year 1 application requires a 100-200 word essay on Why I Want to Participate in PREP. Years 2, 3, and 4 do not require an essay.
No, the most recent report card (6 to 9 week term) with numerical grades is required. Report card must include information on conduct and if courses are Honors or Pre-AP/AP, if applicable.
The following will not be accepted and will make the application incomplete:
- no hand-written
- no web-based (parent portal print-outs)
- no progress reports or reports that state “Progress” on any part of the report card
- no transcripts
- no letter grades
No, new/updated grades cannot be resubmitted.
, conduct grades are required, if not included on the report card, request a Conduct Letter from school counselor. Download a Sample Conduct Letter
Notices will be emailed mid-March through April.
Yes, $500 tuition, paid if student meets the requirements and is accepted into the program. Notification will be emailed by mid-March with payment instructions. No tuition is charged to students from sponsoring school districts. Please verify with school counselor to confirm support.
- Log out and back in
- Log in on a different device or platform
- Note that the Cvent site is no longer accessible via older browsers. The following browsers are no longer be supported:
- Google Chrome version 29 and below
- Mozilla Firefox version 26 and below
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 10 and below
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Mobile 10 and below
- Apple Safari version 6 and below
Prep Alternative 2020
PREP Alternative 2020 was not a replacement for PREP. Students did not receive TEA or PREP credit, and to continue the PREP curriculum they must must apply to attend for the year that they had planned to attend in summer 2020. ie. if a student completed PREP Alternative Year 1, the student must submit a PREP 2021 Year 1 application. If your student is a senior and completed and passed PREP Alternative Year 4, they can submit an application and receive a cost discount if they completed PREP Alternative Year 4.
The University Prefreshman Engineering Program offers college credit at UTSA to students who have successfully completed a minimum of PREP Year 3, meet the grade requirement of 90 or above in Math, Science, and English during the most recent grading period (not cumulative), and are at least in their sophomore year in high school. Students will take college-level courses and participate in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities designed to complement their coursework and interest in STEM fields.
Courses tentatively offered:
- Algebra – Scientists & Engineers
- Biosciences I
- Calculus I
- Introduction to Computer Programming I
- Algebra-based Physics
- General Chemistry
2021 UPREP applications are due January 31. Contact Ana.Leos@utsa.edu with any questions.
UPREP 2021 Application
Impact Report Download
2020 Impact Report
Phone: (210) 458-2829