The PREP Central Office is available to answer questions via email at PREP@UTSA.edu or by phone Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm at 210-458-2829.
The Prefreshman Engineering Program (PREP) is an academically rigorous mathematics-based summer enrichment program conducted at several college and university campuses in San Antonio, as well as, across the state of Texas and Nation.
PREP identifies middle and high school students interested in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and helps prepare those students for advanced studies and careers in those fields by providing a challenging academic program that emphasizes abstract reasoning and problem solving, and exposes participants to careers through speakers and field trips.
The program started in 1979 by a UTSA mathematics professor, Dr. Manuel P. Berriozábal. Today, in 2019, PREP exists at 33 sites in 25 cities and 7 states. PREP has served over 50,000 students in the State of Texas during the past 40 years.
Curriculum will focus on Logic and its application to Mathematics, Introduction to Engineering, and topics in problem solving. Materials and activities as well as opportunities to engage with instructors will be available online.
||PREP@utsa.edu with any questions
- Acceptance notifications will be emailed – mid-March
- Parent Orientation will take place in May at the site which the student is accepted
- Absences: Student is only allowed three excused absences
- Transportation: All applicants are responsible for their own transportation
Students from all school districts within the Greater San Antonio area that meet the requirements outlined below are encouraged to apply.
- Students must apply as 6th, 7th, or 8th graders
- Parent/guardian permission
- Nomination Form from a Mathematics Teacher
- Nomination Form from a Science Teacher, English Teacher, or School Counselor
- Satisfactory conduct grades.
- 100-200 word essay that answers the prompt “Why I want to Participate in PREP”
- 80 or better grade in most recent grading cycle (6 or 9 week term) mathematics, science and English class
- Successful completion of Year 1, 2, or 3 for the next PREP Year (students may not skip a PREP year)
- Parent/Guardian permission
- Passing all classes in school
- 80 or above in most recent grading cycle (6 to 9 week term) in math, science, and English
- Satisfactory conduct grades
Throughout the four years, students will learn about problem-solving systems, STEM career awareness, research & study skills, and participate in field trips and special events. See below for more specific curriculum information for each year in PREP.
- Logic and its Applications to Mathematics
- Introduction to Engineering
- Algebraic Structures
- Introduction to Physics
- Introduction to Probability & Statistics
- Introduction to Technical Writing
- Computer Science
- -Advanced Science & Engineering (such as Water Science, Nanotechnology, or Cyber Security)
Submit your information to be notified about PREP 2022 or later dates.
Submit Information Now
Year 1 PREP
Year 2 PREP
Year 3 PREP
Year 4 PREP
(2) nomination forms are required, one from a math teacher and a second from either an English teacher, science teacher, or counselor.
Years 2, 3, and 4 do not require nominations.
Year 1 application requires a 100-200 word essay on Why I Want to Participate in PREP.
Years 2, 3, and 4 do not require an essay.
No, the most recent report card (6 to 9 week term) with numerical grades is required. Report card must include information on conduct and if courses are Honors or Pre-AP/AP, if applicable.
The following will not be accepted and will make the application incomplete:
- no hand-written
- no progress reports or reports that state “Progress” on any part of the report card
- no transcripts
- no letter grades
No, new/updated grades cannot be resubmitted.
, conduct grades are required, if not included on the report card, request a Conduct Letter from school counselor. Download a Sample Conduct Letter
Notices will be emailed mid-March through April.
Yes, $500 tuition, paid if student meets the requirements and is accepted into the program. Notification will be emailed by mid-March with payment instructions. No tuition is charged to students from sponsoring school districts. Please verify with school counselor to confirm support.
- Log out and back in
- Log in on a different device or platform
- Note that the Cvent site is no longer accessible via older browsers. The following browsers are no longer supported:
- Google Chrome version 29 and below
- Mozilla Firefox version 26 and below
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 10 and below
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Mobile 10 and below
- Apple Safari version 6 and below
PREP Participant Forms & Resources
Academic Record Request Form
Student and Parent Handbook
Resources for Counselors and Teachers
2021 Recruitment Presentation
The University Prefreshman Engineering Program offers college credit at UTSA to students who have successfully completed a minimum of PREP Year 3, meet the grade requirement of 90 or above in math, science, and English during the most recent grading period (not cumulative), and are at least in their sophomore year in high school. Students will take college-level courses and participate in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities designed to complement their coursework and interest in STEM fields.
Courses tentatively offered:
- Algebra – Scientists & Engineers
- Biosciences I
- Calculus I
- Introduction to Computer Programming I
- Algebra-based Physics
- General Chemistry
Impact Reports & Research Download
Phone: (210) 458-2829