Rowdy Ready

Rowdy Ready

Meningitis Immunization

No one likes getting vaccinations, but being at risk for Meningococcal Meningitis is even less fun. If you are 21 or younger, you’ll need to submit written proof that you’ve received either the vaccination or a booster dose within the last five years before registering for classes. It’s a state law!

Note: only the quadrivalent vaccine, which protects against 4 types of meningitis (MCV4, MPSV4), will be accepted. Meningitis B vaccines do not meet the requirement.

Where can I get vaccinated?

We have a limited supply of the meningitis vaccination available which is free to UTSA students. If you are interested in receiving your vaccination at UTSA, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 210-458-4142 (option 1). You will need to bring a photo ID and Vaccination Consent Form to your scheduled appointment. Many clinics, health care providers and your local pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, HEB, etc) also carry this vaccination.

What documentation is needed to show “proof”?

Any of the following:

  • A document bearing the signature or stamp of either a physician, the physician’s designee or the public health official that administered the vaccination that shows the month, day and year it was administered.
  • A copy of an official immunization record issued by a licensed health care provided or the state or local health authority.
  • A copy of an official record received directly from a Texas school official or a school official in another state.

All documentation must be in English and must indicate that the vaccine was administered to the individual. Please be sure that name, birth date and doctor/clinic name are listed on each page of your documentation.

How can I submit this documentation?

Gather the required documentation including and as indicated on The Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccine Requirement Form. To prevent delays in processing paperwork and removing holds, please submit the documentation two weeks before Orientation if attending in-person. To expedite documentation processing, please include your myUTSAID (abc123).

You can submit your immunization records to Wellness 360 at UTSA in person, by fax, by mail or by email

For records sent from a school, Please instruct your school to send the records directly to Wellness 360 at UTSA by any of the above methods. Under the statute, school immunization records must be sent directly from the school to Wellness 360 at UTSA.

To verify that documents have been received by UTSA, Check your ASAP account to see if your hold has been removed. We will call or email you if any additional information is needed. If you have not received a phone call or an email message, and you still have the hold, please call (210) 458-4142.

If you need to receive immunization:

  • Consult your Healthcare Provider
  • Contact the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District at (210) 207-8790
  • Contact Wellness 360 at UTSA at (210) 458-4142

Can I be exempt?

You are automatically exempt if you are 22 years of age or older by the first day of classes.

Other ways to be exempt:

  • You are enrolled in a fully-online degree program through UTSA Online.
  • You are enrolled in only continuing education course or program that is less than 360 contact hours.
  • You are unable to take the vaccine because of medical reasons. Note, you must submit a letter of evidence in person or by mail from a health care provider to Wellness 360 at UTSA.
  • You are declining the vaccine due to reasons of conscience, including a religious belief. In order to receive this exemption, you must use the official Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) affidavit form. The form must be completely filled out, signed, notarized and sent to Wellness 360 at UTSA within 90 days from the date it was notarized. Only the original form will be accepted.

Questions? Contact the following office:

Student Health Services