Applied Cyber Analytics Degree
Are you the type of person who is interested in looking under the hood to solve a technological challenge? Cybersecurity students learn how to configure a firewall, but Applied Cyber Analytics majors learn not only that skill, but are trained to analyze the firewall data and trends quicker to solve cyber security challenges.
UTSA’s Applied Cyber Analytics Program
Cyber is humans interacting with data, and if you want to secure that data and analyze who is trying to penetrate your networks, you have to know how to analyze the data.
Applied Cyber Analytics students learn to work smarter, not harder utilizing tools such as machine learning and artificial intelligence to see patterns in cyber detection.
You’ll obtain three of the four fastest growing cybersecurity skills needed in the workplace: cloud security, risk management and threat intelligence. And with the breadth of your training, you are qualified to pursue jobs in cybersecurity, data analytics and cyber analytics.
What you’ll learn
Receiving training in both data analytics and cybersecurity, you will gain an understanding of the cyber domain and its unique datasets and business intelligence needs.
With billions of attempted intrusions world-wide and millions of system and network events logged daily in the average organization, you’ll learn how to interpret this data to properly defend, respond and investigate these threats.
Students will also receive relevant coursework in statistics, business analytics, information systems, computation, data mining and machine learning.
Careers in Applied Cyber Analytics
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be a 31% increase in demand for workers trained in cyber security in the next decade in addition to the current 3.5 million cyber security job shortage according to Cybersecurity Ventures.
Top job titles for Applied Cyber Analytics graduates include:
• Cyber Security Analyst
• Incident Responder
• Digital Forensics Investigator
• Security Administrator
• Cyber Security/Information Security Specialist
• Vulnerability Assessment Analyst
• Penetration Tester
• Data Security Analyst
• Application Security Engineer
Industries for Applied Cyber Analytics Graduates
• Financial Services
• Consulting Firms
Skills and Interests for Applied Cyber Analytics Majors
While many skills and interests translate to potential careers as an Applied Cyber Analytics graduate, some are more commonly sought after than others. Applied Cyber Analytics may be a good fit for you if:
• You are passionate about technology
• You enjoy working with numbers
• You are analytically minded
• You like solving puzzles and problems
• You enjoy learning
- Alamo Chapter/Armed Forces Communications Electronics Association Annual Cyber Security Scholarship
- Recipients must be enrolled in at least 12 hours for undergraduate and actively pursuing a cyber security or information assurance-related concentration or minor.
- Recipients must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.8 (on a scale of 4.0) for students entering their sophomore year, 3.0 for individuals entering their junior or senior year. Freshman recipients must have a grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) on their high school transcript if applying in their first semester at the University or 2.8 GPA at the University if applying in their second semester.
- Boeing Scholarship
- Pursuing a degree in the Carlos Alvarez College of Business
- Minimum 3.20 cumulative grade point average
- Preference will be given to applicants with an interest in aerospace/defense or the cyber security industry and recipients will be encouraged to apply for a Boeing summer internship
- The Harvey Najim Pathways Scholarship Award: Each award $2,500 per year for up to two years
- First-time college student with 3.0 grade point average
- Pursuing a degree in information systems or cyber security
- Transfer from San Antonio College, St. Philip’s, Palo Alto or Northwest Vista College
- Attended high school at one of the following school districts: East Central, Edgewood, Harlandale, San Antonio, Somerset, SouthSan, Southside and Southwest
- The RSM Foundation Annual Scholarship Award
- Pursuing a degree in the Carlos Alvarez College of Business at the undergraduate level
- Declared major in accounting or cyber security
- Must be enrolled full time, an exception may be granted by Carlos Alvarez College of Business when recipient(s) is in his/her final semester before graduation and is enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average
- San Antonio Chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors Annual Scholarship
- Enrolled full-time, an exception to full-time enrollment may be granted when the student is not required to take a full course load to graduate on a case-by case basis.
- Pursuing a degree in General Business, Data Analytics, Information Technology, Cyber Security or Accounting, or successor degree programs in Carlos Alvarez College of Business.
- Intent to pursue a career in internal audit or risk management
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or greater on 4.0 scale
- UTSA Cyber & Analytics Board of Advisors Annual Scholarship in Cybersecurity
- Scholarship provided to an undergraduate enrolled full-time and actively pursuing a degree in cybersecurity.
- GPA 3.25
Students studying Applied Cyber Analytics may consider becoming involved in:
- Cyber Jedis
- Computer Security Association
- CompTIA Student Chapter