Eligible freshmen applicants who demonstrate financial need can submit an application fee waiver to cover the $60 ApplyTexas application fee.
A submission does not mean your fees are waived. You must first be eligible and submit the correct documentation to support your request. UTSA’s Office of Undergraduate Admission will review your request. If you are denied, you will be required to pay the application fee.
Transfer, post baccalaureate and international applicants do not qualify for the fee waiver option and are required to pay the application fee.
Fee Waiver Eligibility
You’re eligible for an application fee waiver if any of these apply to you and you submit the correct documentation requested.
- Freshmen applicant is Pell Eligible, as determined by your FAFSA.
- Freshmen applicant is a ward of the state or an orphan.
- Freshmen applicant’s annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
- Freshmen applicant lives in a federally subsidized public housing, a foster home or is homeless.
- Freshmen applicant’s family receives public assistance such as TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families).
How to Submit a Fee Waiver
You must first let us know you are requesting a fee waiver, and then submit the supporting documentation to verify your eligibility.
Step One. Submit the Fee Waiver Request
- Designate a fee waiver request on your ApplyTexas application or submit a SAT or ACT fee waiver.
Step Two. Submit any of the following supporting documentation to verify Fee Waiver Request
- Submit your FAFSA on fafsa.ed.gov to UTSA (code 010115) in order to determine your Pell Eligibility*.
- Mail/E-mail** the SAR (Student Aid Report) from the FAFSA submissions indicating Expected Family Contribution is low enough for Pell Eligibility*.
- Mail/E-mail** documentation that student is a ward of the state or orphan.
- Mail/E-mail** documentation that the student lives in subsidized public housing, a foster home or is homeless.
- Mail/E-mail** documentation that the student’s family received public assistance – TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families).
- Mail the IRS transcript reflecting the total family income is at or below the federal economic index for free/reduced lunch eligibility requirements. You must provide a Tax Transcript from the IRS. A photocopy of your tax return will not satisfy this requirement.
*Please note that FAFSAs are available on October 1 each year so if you qualify for a fee waiver through your Pell Eligibility, your request will be processed in November/December.
**Please note, do not e-mail anything that has your social security number displayed!
If you’re mailing your documents, please mail to:
UTSA Office of Undergraduate Admissions
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
If you’re e-mailing your documents, please e-mail email@example.com.