We are excited about your interest in The University of Texas at San Antonio. As an international student, you can apply for admission as a freshman or transfer student. If you have questions about the university and/or the process for applying, feel free to contact an admissions counselor for international students.
International Admission Requirements
You are considered a freshman applicant if you have completed secondary school and have not previously enrolled at any college or university. You are considered a transfer applicant if you have completed secondary school and have previously enrolled in a college or university. Transfer applicants with less than 30 semester hours of academic credit earned at the time of applying must also submit the requirements for freshman applicants.
|International Freshmen (first-time university student)|
|Possess equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma|
|Minimum 2.5 GPA (4.0 scale)|
|Meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements (see English Language Proficiency Requirements for details)|
|Transferable Credits*||GPA (4.0 Scale)|
|< 12 hours||at least 2.25 GPA (U.S. college) or 2.5 GPA (foreign college) and must meet freshmen requirements*|
|12-29 hours||2.25 GPA (U.S. college) or 2.5 GPA (foreign college) and must meet freshmen requirements*|
|12-29 hours||≥ 2.75 GPA|
|≥ 30 hours||≥ 2.25 GPA (U.S. college) or ≥ 2.5 GPA (foreign college)|
|Transfer applicants must be eligible to return to their most recent institution.|
|Meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements|
|Documentation by Country|
|Each country requires specific documentation when applying to UTSA. Click below to find documentation requirements by region:
• North America
• South America
**Freshmen Requirements: Transfer applicants who must meet freshmen requirements must submit an official high school transcript.
International Admission Process
Review our admission requirements above.
- Submit an application on ApplyTexas.
- Pay a non-refundable $70 application fee*.
- Submit all official (English-translated) transcripts to UTSA. Official transcripts must bear the official seal and/or original signatures of school authorities from the issuing school.
- Freshmen: Submit your official secondary school transcript with subjects and grades.
- Transfers: Submit your official transcript(s) from each college or university you have attended and submit a foreign credential evaluation for any foreign college or university transcripts. We recommend Foreign Credential Services of America (FCSA), but you can submit a credential evaluation from any evaluators on the NACES website. Please note, UTSA accepts credit only from recognized accredited academic institutions.
- Send all test scores from testing agency
- Freshmen & Transfers: Send TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, iTEP Academic or Cambridge C1 Advanced scores directly from the testing agency.
- Freshmen: If you have taken the SAT or ACT, please send your scores to us directly from the testing agency. Students who have studied at an American-accredited high school in another country must submit SAT or ACT scores.
An admissions decision will not be made until all required documents are received. Students who are admitted to the university are not guaranteed admission to a specific academic program.
All documents must have an official English translation. All documents related to international student admissions must be sent to the Office of International Programs:
International Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle, BRG 0.304
San Antonio, TX 78249 USA
Attestations of Original Documents:
- When an original document cannot be duplicated according to the secondary school, university, or examining board policy, attested copies may be substituted.
- Attestations MUST be obtained either from the issuing college/university, the Controller of Examination/Records or the Principal.
- Attestation must include the appropriate signature and official stamp.
- Copies attested by notary officials, translators, head of the department, lecturer, other government posts, etc., are not acceptable substitutes.
English Language Proficiency
- A TOEFL Internet-Based Test (IBT) score of 79 or greater.
- A TOEFL Paper-Based Test (PBT) score of 550 or greater.
- An IELTS score of 6.5 or greater.
- A PTE Academic score of 58 or greater.
- An iTEP Academic score of 3.8 or greater.
- A Cambridge C1 Advanced minimum scale 180 grade C or higher.
- Graduated from a U.S. high school and completed two full years of regular English courses.
- Scored 500 or greater on the SAT critical reading.
- Scored 21 or greater on the ACT English component.
- Earned Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university.
- Earned 45 or more semester hours of transferable credit from a U.S. college or university.
- Earned 30 or more semester hours of transferable credit from a U.S. college or university to include college-level English Composition I with a B- or better grade.
TOEFL/IELTS Test Scores
|Bachelor’s Degree Admission Qualification||TOEFL Internet-Based Test||TOEFL Paper-Based Test||IELTS Test|
English Language Assessment Program (ELAP) Requirement
The ELAP is a test to assess students’ academic English proficiency in the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking. The test is administered during Orientation for those students who have an ELAP hold. Results from the ELAP will determine possible placement in EIS (English for International Students) courses in the first semester. EIS courses are credit courses and not part of an Intensive English Program.
Cost of Attendance
The actual cost of attending UTSA will vary depending on your living arrangements and personal spending habits.
Estimated 2019-2020 Tuition & Fees
The tuition and fees below reflect the status of a full-time undergraduate student enrolled for both the fall and spring semester.
|Tuition & Fees||$24,262|
Other Estimated Expenses to Consider
|if Living On-Campus||if Living Off-Campus|
|Estimated Housing & Meals||$11,452||$10,071|
|Estimated Books & Supplies||$1,000||$1,000|
To learn more about international admissions, contact the International Admissions Office by email email@example.com or phone +1-210-458-7995.