San Antonio is a city of 1.4 million people, but it can feel like a small town with its warm and friendly faces welcoming you. Historical landmarks, parks, a lively art scene, museums and annual festivals—whether you’re a foodie, amusement park adrenaline-junkie or art enthusiast, there’s something for everyone here.
A Vibrant and Diverse City
San Antonio is home to a vibrant, diverse culture and features iconic landmarks like The Alamo and River Walk. It’s also just a short trip away from Austin or the beach. San Antonio’s cultural personality is unique. Mexican, European, Asian, African and Western traditions blend to create something not found anywhere else in the country. When you come to study in San Antonio, you are adding to a unique cultural blend that we love to celebrate here.
Cool Facts about San Antonio
- Everything is bigger in Texas – San Antonio is the second biggest city in Texas and the seventh largest in the nation. Its metro area is twice the size of Chicago and it has a population of 2.4m—that’s more than the entire state of New Mexico!
- We’re a hotspot for travel – About 32 million tourists visit San Antonio every year. The Alamo, located Downtown, is Texas’s top tourist attraction.
- A city of champions – Home to five-time NBA champion the San Antonio Spurs.
- #4 best city for young grads. (Online Degree)
- Named #4 as America’s Next Boom Town. (Forbes)
- Ranked #5 in Millenial population growth. (Business Insider)
- Business is booming – San Antonio is the headquarters of six Fortune 500 companies including Valero Energy, Andeavor (formerly known as Tesoro Corp), USAA, iHeartMedia, NuStar Energy and CST Brands, Inc.
- Three centuries of history – 2018 marks the tricentennial year for the city of San Antonio, celebrating 300 years of San Antonio’s history, arts, culture and heritage.
- Named in the Top 10 Cities in the US for Tech Jobs. (Entrepreneur Magazine)
- Recognized as the #4 Best Big City in the U.S. (Conde Naste Traveler)
- Listed as one of America’s friendliest cities. (Travel + Leisure)
Notable San Antonio Attractions
The five Historic Missions of San Antonio are a certified World Heritage site! The Alamo is the most famous of these.San Antonio Missions
Located in downtown San Antonio, the 750-foot Tower of the Americas provides the most spectacular view of Alamo City.Tower of the Americas
Visit The Shops at La Cantera, located across from UTSA, for shopping, dining and entertainment activities.The Shops at La Cantera
Located next to La Cantera, this large amusement park features dozens of rides, shows and activities.Six Flags Fiesta Texas
This Greek-themed, art-house movie theater offers IMAX screens, table seating, and a full food and drink menu!Santikos Palladium IMAX
One of San Antonio’s most popular attractions! This world-famous urban waterway is lined for miles with hotels, restaurants and shops.The Historic River Walk
This revitalized neighborhood has grown into a communal gathering space that features a wide mix of dining and entertainment.Pearl Historic District
Located in beautiful Brackenridge Park, this 35-acre zoo features a collection of over 3,500 animals to visit and learn from.San Antonio Zoo
Thanks to its seating capabilities, building configurations and tech upgrades, the AT&T Center hosts events that can range from an ice show, basketball game, boxing match, rodeo and more.AT&T Center
This signature exhibit at the Institute of Texan Cultures contains a display floor that highlights more than 20 cultures that migrated to Texas and made it their home.Institute of Texan Cultures
This 250-acre animal-themed, marine life amusement park houses an oceanarium and water park and is located on the city’s west side.Seaworld San Antonio
San Antonio has been home to a consistent military presence for nearly 300 years. It’s why we’re called a Military City.Military City
Tubing on the rivers in and around San Antonio is a Hill Country pastime and a favorite South Texas tradition.Guadalupe & Comal Rivers
Located on the River Walk, the San Antonio Museum of Art has large collections of ancient Mediterranean art, Asian art and Latin American art with a notable contemporary collection.San Antonio Art Museum
Our bike share is designed for short trips and quick adventures around town. When you’re done riding, you can conveniently dock your bike at any B-station.San Antonio B-cycle Stations
Hiking and biking along the Greenway trails is a great way to enjoy the outdoors through an ever growing network of multi-use trails that wind through natural landscapes.Greenway Trails