Orientation is a requirement for all new UTSA undergraduate students. In order to sign up for an Orientation program, you must be admitted to UTSA for the term you want to attend Orientation. Orientation & Family Programs offers veteran & military students two types of orientation program experiences: in person or online.
Sign Up for Veteran & Military Student Orientation
You must be admitted to UTSA as an incoming student and have had activated your myUTSA ID in order to sign up for your Orientation date. If your veteran status was indicated on your Apply Texas application, you are already qualified to attend the Veteran and Military Orientation. If your veteran status was not indicated in Apply Texas, please contact Veteran Certification at (210) 458-4540 to have your veteran status updated in our system before signing up for Orientation.
When Veteran & Military Student Orientation Sign Up Opens
Orientation programs are available on a first come first served basis. The programs that are specific to you will appear in your ASAP reservation system. You may not see all program options.
|Admitted for Fall Term||Open Now|
|Admitted for Spring Term||Orientation Sign Up opens in September|
|Admitted for Summer Term||Open Now|
→ How do I sign up?
- Log into your ASAP account, click the “Future Roadrunner” tab and click “Sign Up for Orientation”
- Follow the onscreen step-by-step instructions, which includes:
- Select your Orientation Date (online will be included in this)
- If attending an in-person orientation, you have the option of adding Family Orientation, if your family members wish to attend
- Paying your Orientation Fee
- Print your confirmation page (includes temporary parking permit) when you reach your confirmation page
→ Veteran & Military Student Orientation Fee
- In-Person Veteran & Military Student Orientation Fee is $80 (covered by the GI Bill, for those eligible to receive this benefit).
- To register for an in-person Veteran & Military Student Orientation, students are required to make a $25 non-refundable pre-payment during ASAP registration; the remaining balance will be placed on your Student Tuition and Fees Bill.
- Online Veteran & Military Student Orientation Fee is $65.
- No prepayment is required to select the Online Orientation.
You are welcome to log back into your ASAP account and make edits to your orientation reservation as long as your edit button is visible on your confirmation page. In the two weeks prior to your program, the orientation registration period will end and you will no longer be able to edit your reservation. Should your plans change or an emergency arise, please reach out to our office to see if any accommodations can be made.
Please note: Your pre-payment is non-refundable, even if you no longer plan to attend UTSA.
Before You Attend Orientation
Before you attend Orientation, you must be Rowdy Ready. Your Rowdy Ready status includes required items that must be complete prior to attending orientation such as:
- Completing your TSI requirement
- Taking a Math Placement Exam
- Submitting proof of your Meningitis Immunization
- and a few more items …
You can view your personalized Rowdy Ready status by logging into your ASAP account and clicking the “Future Roadrunner” tab.
What To Expect at Orientation
Veteran & Military Student Orientation can either be completed online or through a 1-day in-person experience.
→ Online Orientation
Veteran & Military students have the opportunity to participate in an Online Orientation experience at their own pace and convenience. The Online Orientation is filled with valuable information about UTSA services, resources, academic policies and much more!
- Sign up for Online Orientation in ASAP and access the Online Orientation through the link provided in the Orientation Confirmation Page.
- Pass the Final Online Orientation Quiz with a 90% or better for the Orientation hold to be updated.
- Schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor in order to register for your classes.
- Veteran & Military students can meet with an advisor at any time before, during or after Orientation, but must complete both Academic Advising and Orientation in order to register for classes.
→ In-Person Orientation
The Veteran & Military Student Orientation is a one-day event on Main Campus specifically tailored with the unique perspective of the student veteran in mind. It is recommended to plan to be on campus from 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. as your afternoon schedule may vary depending on academic advising appointment time and your engagement with veteran support offices. This orientation has been planned by veterans, for veterans, to help them transition to UTSA. Throughout the day, you will be introduced to key veteran-related functions on campus:
- Receive an individual appointment with an academic advisor, to prepare for course registration
- Receive information on veteran priority registration for next semester
- Benefits certification
- VetSuccess on Campus
- Tomás Rivera Center for Student Success
- Student Veteran Association
- Student Disability Services
- Optional tour of the campus highlighting Veteran & Military student services, led by a fellow student veteran and an Orientation Leader, to provide you with informed, “insider” information about places on campus that will be most important to you
- You will also have the chance to meet fellow student veterans, supporting staff, as well as attend a UTSA veteran alumni panel
Orientation participants will be provided with a light breakfast and boxed lunch included in the orientation fee.
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit can be found in your confirmation page after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit, failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the date that the permit is valid
- The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed [ex: Brackenridge Rd Lot 1, BK 1 or Resident Lot 1, R1]. DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces. DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation. Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Bauerle Road or Ximenes Garages. Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with Campus Services.
Please be aware that the on-campus orientation experience includes extensive walking. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
What to Bring:
Click here to see what to bring to Orientation.
Additionally, Veteran & Military students who wish to certify immediately following orientation, should bring all necessary documentation as well as a completed Certification Request. Each benefit requires different documentation, please be sure to review requirements well in advance of Orientation on the Veteran Certification website.
If you have any further questions regarding required documentation, please contact Veteran Certification at (210) 458-4540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact our Office of Orientation and Family Programs.
|Office||Main Campus, Multidisciplinary Studies (MS) Bldg, Room 2.01.10|