Family Orientation is an experience designed specifically for family members of incoming UTSA students. Parents, family members, and guests are encouraged to attend Family Orientation to gain more information on how to support their student. The program gives family members an introduction to UTSA by focusing on academic success and student life.
What To Expect at Orientation
Family Orientation is a one day program (for all terms). It is a separate experience for family members that runs concurrently with student Orientation for the fall term, however, for spring/summer terms, family members will spend the day shadowing their student. Family Orientation participants will have the opportunity to listen to, meet and speak with staff from various student service areas and network with other new UTSA families, staff, faculty, and students.
|Fall Freshman Orientation||1 day separate experience|
|Fall Transfer, all Spring and Summer Orientations||1 day experience shadowing student|
→ Family Orientation Housing
→ Meals at Orientation
for 1-Day Fall Transfer, and all Spring and Summer Programs:
Orientation participants will be provided with a $9 meal card to use for their on-campus lunch.
for For 1-Day Fall Freshman Programs:
For our fall Family Orientation participants, meals are not provided. However, we do host a reception.
→ Schedule at a Glance
Check-In followed by various department sessions.
Please be aware that the orientation experience includes EXTENSIVE WALKING. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
for For all programs:
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit can be found in your confirmation letter after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit, failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the dates that the permit is valid
- The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed [ex: Brackenridge Rd Lot 1, BK 1 or Resident Lot 1, R1]. DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces. DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation. Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Bauerle Road or Ximenes Garages. Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with Campus Services.
- Specific information about ADA parking on campus can be found here.
→ How to Reserve Your Spot
Reservations for all Family Orientation programs are required and can be made by your student through their ASAP account. Families and Guests can only attend an orientation program for the term that their student was admitted/accepted. Space is limited and is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. All Family Orientation charges are added to your student’s tuition and fees bill.
→ Family Orientation Fee
The Family Orientation Fee is $65 per person for Fall Freshman 1-day programs, and $40 for all other programs. Children, age 9 and under, are free of charge. All orientation fees are placed onto your student’s tuition and fees bill.
UTSA’s Family Association is the official membership organization for families of current students. The association:
- keeps families informed about what is happening on campus and how they can support their student.
- is a place where families can get to know one another and create a network for themselves.
- creates opportunities for families to engage with the University’s administration, faculty, staff, and President.
- understands that college completion is a victory for the entire family.
The university understands the importance of family engagement to the success of your student and the Family Association makes that engagement meaningful.